Monday, October 15, 2018

Misophonia Treatment with Dr. Hatch - Functional Neurologist

- Moved/Post to New Blog!

(Note: I saw Dr. Hatch in June of 2018)

Last week, I spent 4 days working with Dr. Hatch and his team, receiving testing and treatments and exercises.

History on me: 42 year old, Female, Miso since childhood. Head trauma at 2 years old (26 stitches! according to my mother, yes I still have a scar that my hair covers). First real memory I was between 7 and 9, horrible reaction to a country song (I love country music now, so I don't know what it was specifically about that). For emotional traumas, well damn that could be a seriously long list but I have been lucky enough to resolve the majority of that over years of self analytical reflection, a lot of reading and choosing to be better.

I take B-complex vitamins, vitamin D3 and K, Myo-Inositol, oil of oregano and probiatics when I remember them. I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome), which is why I started the B complex and Myo-Inositol (I became a self guinea pig, attempting to normalize my hormonal imbalance) and found that the Myo-Inositol stopped me from the rage reaction as a side benefit, which I believe has helped with my overall Miso reactions. I do much better when I am taking it (1g per day typically and I take more when I am pms'ing/period happens) and it has been shown to assist in anxiety and depression disorders in higher doses but there is research that is currently on-going so I can't say for certain what assists me in my rage reactions will help someone else. I have found a benefit in it. Perhaps due to this though, I feel like my Miso went from a 8-9 on the scale from years ago and a 10 if you count self harming (I've been taking inositol since 2015 steadily) to a 4-6 range in the last few years, there has only been 2 of episodes of a 10 reaction in the last 3 years and it was when I did not take my inositol.

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/the-misophonia-activation-scale.html

It still causes enough issues in life though, that I wanted to do more to reduce it further or have it go into remission (my PCOS is currently in a technical remission since I actually get periods every month now) and while I know there is no known cure yet, I have hope in that direction.

Also, I am one of those happy positive people, that morning person who smiles a lot. I try to find the positive in things, laugh as much as possible and when bad shit happens, adapt into a better situation or position. I got divorced in 2014 (after a year separation and 13 years of marriage) and lost about 30 lbs. I exercise at the gym 2 times a week for sure, and want to increase it back to 5 like I was doing a year ago. I work full time and I am working on my BS degree part time. I have 1 son, 17 years old and now a senior in HS. I was in the band and orchestra in HS and love music, it's a saving grace for sure. I also have an awesome and pretty understanding boyfriend :) I sleep well in general and don't typically have a problem falling asleep. I also love naps, when I can get them which isn't nearly as often as I would like!

I tested DNA on 23andMe and I do not have the variant for Miso.

TRIGGER WARNING! Sounds will be described

Day 1 starts with the initial testing, to get the details of directly affects me. From there I spoke with Dr. Hatch and he assigned the daily treatments (2-4 per day, also had 2-3 sessions in the gyro per day) and at home exercises. I did not take my Inositol, starting on Sunday, I had wanted to have nothing interfering with what was going to happen.

Trigger situation: My bf never ever chews gum around me. Ever. But when you have a beer in Utah and you're self conscious, he had gum (I secretly believe he was attempting to see how my reactions were). I was across the room in an instant and asking him if he was ready and itching to run out the door, due his gum chewing. It was a panic and I was trying to think fast on what I should do, because of the panic. I told him as we were leaving it was bothering me and he spit it out.

Day 2 is slightly different, because you start with the treatments and re-test only those aspects that are directly related to causing issues. Improvement was seen and exercises were adjusted for the one area that did not improve.

Dr. Hatch ok'd taking the inositol, we could see if it would effect me in any way for days 3 and 4.

Trigger situation: Again, my bf was chewing gum, right next to me. I looked at him, like "seriously" but it did not make me run this time. Yes, I was hyper aware of it and it was annoying me, but it did not have that RUN  and panic reaction like the previous day.

Day 3: Repeat of  day 2 with 1 additional gyro. No exercise changes and again improvements. Took inositol that morning.

Trigger situation: And yes, again, he was at it with the gum. This time my reaction was even less. I heard it but it wasn't worth the glare because I heard it and it didn't bother me. So, that was a significant improvement in my opinion.

Day 4: Last day, repeat of day 3 with 1 less gyro. Full testing today. Review of the weeks numbers to see the changes and overall improvements.

In regards to the testing, I noticed the biggest difference from the balance with eyes closed results. My brain seems to think I am falling backwards when my eyes are closed. That sensation was a new one to comprehend what was going on, which I believe is helpful because I feel that awareness makes it easier to make corrections and improvements in general.

(slight trigger warning)
We ate out the whole week and since it was a pseudo vacation I was eating what I wanted :) , went swimming in the mornings since I had afternoon appointments and was asleep usually by 8:30pm (2 hour time difference from where I live). Went to Moab on Thursday after I was done with Dr. Hatch. Drove to Denver Saturday morning (Went to the Comic Con in Denver) and flew back to Maryland on Sunday and oh can I say that was a guy that literally snored the entire flight home, 3+ hours, behind me 1 row and over 1 seat. It was hilarious and I am lucky that sound is not one of my triggers in general. I did bring headphones with me just in case but did not need them the entire trip.

I have been pretty on for doing my exercises, minus the issues with travel times and overall pure exhaustion from the travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Supplements to hopefully get my body back in some sort of order

 I pasted from a word document and this is kinda what it did. But yes, I am taking all of these and 2 more that I need to update to the list...